Turtles In Aquaponics
Turtles in aquaponics are not very common but surprising, there are a lot of potential advantages. For example:
1. Turtles are hardier and much more resilient than fishes.
2. They produce more waste resulting in more nutrients for plants.
3. Turtles have varied diets making them easy to feed.
4. Pet turtles are great companions and deserve the best living environment.
5. A good aquaponic system can provide fresh clean water for turtles.
Please note: although there hasn’t been any study suggesting that the salmonella disease some turtles carry can affect the food grown in aquaponics; extra care should always be taken with turtle aquaponics. For example:
1. Monitor the water and filter condition.
2. Prevent splashing onto the vegetables.
3. Wash vegetables well before eating.
4. If growing edible plants, choose ones that require cooking.
5. Grow plants that are not for consuming like flowers.